The PreHealth Experience at KU
When you study a prehealth pathway at the University of Kansas, you will receive the guidance, support, and excellent education needed to achieve a career in healthcare. At KU, we challenge our students to enhance their critical-thinking, problem-solving, analytical and statistical skills.
As a prehealth student, you will:
- Earn a foundational education from a respected AAU institution
- Study abroad or study away
- Gain career experience through internships and job shadowing
- Participate in undergraduate research
- Work and learn side-by-side with faculty
- Connect with peers through participation in over a dozen prehealth related student organizations
What it Takes
- Complete required prehealth courses – requirements vary by pathway
- Fulfill degree and major requirements – a major is required for a bachelor’s degree
- Participate in volunteer service-learning – specific number of hours required varies by pathway
- Direct experience in a healthcare field – specific number of hours required varies by pathway
- Diversify your education - prehealth students should consider taking courses that expand their knowledge of social, cultural, and ethical issues in healthcare
Find out if KU is the fit for you with a campus visit, and while you’re here be sure to schedule time to visit with faculty in your proposed major, take a tour of the new Integrated Sciences Building or Earth, Energy, and Environment Center, and check in with KU’s prehealth Outreach Coordinator, Tedarian Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Freshmen apply by November 1st for priority consideration for scholarships and admission to the University Honors Program.
Transfer students apply by February 1st for priority consideration for scholarships, and admission to the University Honors Program.
Apply by the priority deadline above for immediate scholarship consideration.
Educate yourself on the full cost of attendance and value of a KU education.
Explore the resources available through the KU Financial Aid & Scholarships office.