Applying to Optometry Schools
If you plan to enter optometry school immediately after your senior year, you should begin the application process in the summer of your junior year. Don't wait for application deadlines - Apply Early!
1. Application Meeting. In the spring of your junior year, call 785-864-2834, and schedule an application meeting with Paul Crosby to talk through the entire process.
2. Optometry Admission Test (OAT). Most people take the OAT in late May, immediately after their junior year. If needed, you can retake after 90 days.
3. Optometry Central Application Service (OptomCAS). The OptomCAS application will be available in July. You will have your recommendation letters and transcripts sent to OptomCAS. Different optometry schools have different deadlines. It would be ideal to complete this stage of the application by July 15th.
4. Supplemental Applications. Some optometry schools will let you complete their supplemental applications independently from when you submit your OptomCAS application; Others will want to review your OptomCAS information before inviting you to complete their supplemental. It would be ideal to complete these by August 1st, so you can be considered for August interviews.
5. Interviews. In the summer and fall of the senior year, optometry schools will invite you for interviews. You can call 785-864-2834 to schedule a practice interview with the premedical advisor.
For more information, see Applicant FAQ.