Prepare for Optometry School Admission: OD in Optometry
Application Due - Differs by program. Summer between your junior and senior years, submit your Optometry Central Application Service (OptomCAS).
Don't wait for application deadlines - Apply Early!
The OptomCAS application will be available in July - be aware of differing school application deadlines within the system.
Special Application Requirements:
- Register for the OAT. Optometry Admission Test. This test is computerized so schedule it for a time that suits your preparation and application cycle needs.
- Most student take this test in late May, immediately after their junior year. If needed, you can retake after 90 days.
- Recommendation letters and transcripts send to OptomCAS by July 15th - this is to account for differing school application deadlines!
- Complete supplemental applications ideally by August 1st for consideration in August interviews.
- Some schools let you submit your supplemental applications independently from OptomCAS. Others, will use your OptomCAS application to invite you to fill out a supplemental.
- Resume will be required.
- Most schools begin their interview process in the summer and fall of your senior year.
- Observation and work with Optometrists and patients is important.
- Strong candidates also must demonstrate a committment to social service. Volunteering is always great!
- Research projects are encouraged.
- Keep a log about your hours, activities and thoughts about the Optometry profession for your application and interview.