Prepare for Medical School Admission: MD or DO in Medicine
Most medical schools, including KU School of Medicine, require candidates to first apply through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).
AMCAS applications open at the beginning of May. They begin to accept complete applications in early June, and start to transmit applications to designated medical schools by the end of June.
***You should be applying the summer between your junior and senior year!
Early Decision - July 1st is encouraged! August 1st is the deadline
Regular Decision - September 1st is encouraged
Final deadline for KU School of Medicine - October 15th
For AMCAS, submitted by August 1st
- Enter the information for each writer in your application
- Designate which schools should recieve the letters
- Check to make sure letters are recieved by AMCAS
- Meet with each of your writers to discuss the letter and AMCAS directions for submission. Be sure to give them the August 1st deadline.
Other Application Services
For most Texas public schools you first apply through TMDSAS, Texas Medical & Dental Schools Application Service
For most osteopathic medical schools you first apply through AACOMAS, American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
Special Application Requirements
- MCAT is required. Medical College Admission Test. The MCAT is offered between late January and early September.
- Interviews! Typically these start in September. The KU School of Medicine will hold early decision interviews in September and regular decision interviews from October to January.
If you haven't been offered an interview by January, send an updated transcript to each medical schools admissions office.
- Applications also require Personal Comments Essays in addition to a professional resume
- Medical Schools will be looking for applicants with strong list of Health Care activities on their resume: Volunteering, Shadowing, or direct, close work with physicians.
- Undergraduate Research is another way to strengthen your application
- Social Service is also greatly valued in the medical field.
More information on these application requirements can be found on the Career Preparation tab!