Applying to Medical Schools
If you plan to enter medical school immediately after your senior year, you should begin the application process in the spring of your junior year. Don't wait for application deadlines - Apply Early!
1. Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). The MCAT is offered between late January and early September.
2. American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Most medical schools, including the KU School of Medicine, require candidates to first apply through AMCAS. The AMCAS Application opens at beginning of May, starts accepting completed applications in early June, and will start transmitting to medical schools toward the end of June.
For early decision, July 1st is encouraged, and August 1st is the deadline. For regular decision, September 1st is encouraged, and, for the KU School of Medicine, October 15th is the deadline.
When you finish a draft of your personal comments essay, call 785-864-2399 to schedule an essay review meeting with Consultant in the Writing Center.
For most Texas public medical schools, you first apply through TMDSAS.
For most osteopathic (D.O.) medical schools, you first apply through AACOMAS.
You can find information about MD medical schools in the AAMC's Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) Database ($28 access fee), and DO medical schools in the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book.
3. Supplemental/Secondary Applications, usually submitted by August 1st. The KU School of Medicine's early decision deadline for all secondary application materials, including evaluation letters, is August 15th, and the regular decision file completion deadline is November 15th. Many medical schools encourage applicants to complete secondaries within two weeks of receiving them.
4. Evaluation Letters, usually submitted by August 1st. For medical schools using AMCAS, you enter the information for each writer in your application, designate which schools should receive each letter, and check to be sure AMCAS receives each letter. Meet with each of your writers, and give them directions for sending their letters to AMCAS, electronically or by mail. Give your writers an August 1st deadline for submitting their letters.
5. Interviews, starting in September. The KU School of Medicine will hold early decision interviews in September, and regular decision interviews from October through January. In September, call 785-864-3624 to schedule a one-hour practice interview with the University Career Center!
6. Updated Transcripts. Especially if you haven't been offered an interview by early January, send an updated transcript and letter of continued interest to each medical school admissions office.
For much more information, see the Applicant FAQ!